So the lovely @recsfromurfriend nominated me for this award and I am so honored. Thanks!!
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to bloggers who are creative, positive and inspirational all while spreading sunshine throughout the blogging world.
- Thank the blogger(s) who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog
- Answer the 11 Questions sent by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate up to 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
What’s your all time favorite book?
Whenever I’m asked this question I always say Jason & Kyra by Dana Davidson. It’s the first YA book I remember reading that featured a main character that reminded me of myself: black, a bookworm, and not necessarily the most conventionally pretty.
If you were to live in any fictional world, which one would you choose?
I think my first instinct is to say the world of Harry Potter. I mean if I could be a witch that would be amazing. BUT BUT……I think I’m going to go with the Percy Jackson Universe on this one. I’ve always been obsessed with mythology and being a demi-god?!?!?! PLEASE SIGN ME UP
If you were to change the ending of any book, which book would you pick and why?
I read a book last year called See No Color. It had so much promise. It touched on race, adoption, abandonment, the concept of “not seeing color” and how that sounds to POC and issues surrounding racial identities. The ending was completely lack luster. The author only touched on these things and by the end nothing had been addressed. I wouldn’t re-write it to get a happy ending, but I would re-write it so that it actually pictured Alex addressing the bullshit in her life instead of pushing it aside. What’s the point of writing a book about tough issues if the character never actually faces or addresses the tough issues?
What’s your last 1 star book?
Ricochet. It was an ARC that I received from Netgalley and it had an interesting premise, but I just couldn’t get into the delivery. I ended up DNFing the book because it got to be too confusing. All the characters basically had the same name and some even shared the same story. I just didn’t understand it.
Fan cast the main characters in a book you really liked
I would absolutely love to see China Anne McClain cast as Emoni Santiago from With the Fire on High. You can’t deny that based on the cover, she looks perfect. She’s also such an underrated actress and I would just loooove for her to step into a role like this.
What’s your most favorite trope?
I love love loooooove enemies to lovers trope. Is it cliche? Yes. Is it always done well? No. Still though there’s something about characters not being able to stand each other and then falling in love or at least getting it on that I just can’t live without.
Who’s an author you’d really like to meet?
I would really love to meet Dana Davidson. She wrote two of my favorite books, Jason and Kyra and Played, and I would just love to pick her brain and any other ideas for books staring Black main characters that she may have. I’d also love to find out where she disappeared to!
Are you more Harry Potter or Percy Jackson?
I love the Percy Jackson series, but I’ve always been a big Harry Potter girl, despite the fact that Joanne won’t stop showing her ass.
Paperbacks or Hardbacks?
Hardbacks all the way, though I have the same amount of both.
You can only keep three books for the rest of your life, what are you picking?
Jason & Kyra, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and Moon Called. There are plenty of other books that I can pick but I think I could read these and never get bored of them.
So now that I’ve answered these questions, It’s time to nominate a few bloggers of my own and ask my own questions:
- What’s your favorite throwback book?
- What’s your favorite book series?
- Are you a writer? If so, what project are you working on now?
- What’s best book 2019 release you’ve read so far?
- Describe your perfect reading environment (location, weather, type of book).
- Do you have a favorite author? If so, who are they and why?
- So many of us started out reading and listening to favorite fairy tales. Tell us your favorite!
- What was your last 1 star book?
- What series do you wish would be adapted into a television series or series of movies?
- What’s a book adaptation that you were disappointed in?
- When did you first fall in love with reading?